CHURCH OF ST MARY OF THE ANGELS
This catholic parish began as a small hilltop chapel for the friars. Adjoining the Franciscan Sociological Centre, it was dedicated by Archbishop Olçomendy in 1958. It was surrounded by orchards, plantations and isolated villages, and neighbours would make their way up the hill to join the friars for mass.
In 1970, the Archbishop offered the friars a 25-year parish agreement and so the friars’ chapel became a parish church. Named after St Mary of the Angels, St Francis’ favourite chapel and the place where God’s graces and mercies were made known to many.